OHSAS 18001 is an occupational health and safety management systems. It was created to help organizations demonstrate good occupational health and safety performance and as a result is now seen as one of the world’s most recognizable occupational health and safety management systems standards. It exists to help all kinds of organizations put in place demonstrably sound occupational health and safety performance.
In order for your organization to gain OHSAS 18001 recommendation there are 5 main areas that must be examined by OHSAS 18001 consultants. These 5 main areas are:
- Occupational health and safety policies
- How your organization conducts planning
- Implementation and operational control of resources, roles etc
- How your organization checks/monitors and evaluates
- Examination of your organization’s management review
The OHSAS 18001 standard is internationally accepted as a method of assessing and auditing occupational health and safety management systems. Developed by leading trade and international standards bodies, it provides a framework for organizations to instigate proper and effective management of health & safety in the workplace.
Key areas that will be assessed by OHSAS certification
- Management systems in place
- Planning and risk assessment
- Staff training and awareness
- Communication of safety management systems
- Response to emergency situations
- Monitoring and continual improvement
Read more about OHSAS 18001 Safety Manual